Tuesday, May 5, 2009

I'm terrible at Mathematics beyond basic algebra, what resources or books can I read to face my shortcomings?

Mathmatics past the basic algebra stage, scares me to death. I get nervous registering for math classes. I am proficent in History, the Sciences, Lit and Comp, but I fall short in math. I test below college level(ahh!), and have trouble in the classes that should help catch me up. What does anyone recommend (besides tutoring) so I can try to teach myself, and regain my confidence? Any books or guides that have helped you or someone you know?

I'm terrible at Mathematics beyond basic algebra, what resources or books can I read to face my shortcomings?
EPGY is a Stanford program that offers computer courses on mathematics with a professor as a correspondent if you need help. It's a program I have used many times. Lectures are given with audio and written down on the computer screen by the tutor, and you can rewind whenever you want. It is rather expensive though.





That's all I can give credible information on, I remember I had a book that was something like a math encyclopedia, but I can't remember the name of it now. Besides that, I know you said no tutoring, but if you find the right tutor (someone your age) it can help you immensly.
Reply:Hmmm I do not know what you can do for long term help, but for short term help, you can look up math terms on www.wikipedia.org

toothache

No comments:

Post a Comment