Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Feeling different from my peers?

I'm currently 18 and I'm college but I feel abnormal compared to everyone else. I just feel so different and the majority of people around me just seem like a bunch of ignorant, face-book addicts (I use facebook but I'm not obsessed with it)





Has anyone ever felt like different or something like an outcast in college? I even feel way different compared to my brothers. Please share your experiences as I'm facing a time of confusion and great hardship.

Feeling different from my peers?
Well,You should be happy that you're different form everyone else.In a world where there are just carbon copies, to be an individual is a great thing. I remember reading from a book that outsiders' have a better understanding of how the world works because they are have a better view of it..So,don't fret too much..I am different from my friends and instead being concerned about it, I'm proud of it.When they look at me funny,I just say that they are jealous that they don't have half the personality that I have, that they're just boring people without any original thought, and just mindless clones of each other...
Reply:Part of the problem, whether you wish to address it or not, is that you call all your peers ignorant. I am sure that you are making yourself further removed from them by calling them names and implying they are unintelligent and snobby. Additionally, I am nearly 100% positive that everyone at that college is not on Facebook (whatever that may be) and that there are those out there who are much like you, if you chose to find them.





Look places that you hang out (coffee pubs, the library, join a campus club that sounds interesting, take a walk, talk to people in your classes). There are all types of people at school and I am sure that there are many who are feeling just as displaced as you are. College is a time of great adjustment and being different is pretty much what everyone there is 'worried' about. Find what you like and do it, talk to those who enjoy it too, and I am sure you will find that you are not so 'different'. And your brothers, they just managed to find their 'people' a little earlier in the process, it can be helped if they had a interest that was obvious going in (sports, academics), or if they were more social in personality. Everyone is their own person. Keep at it, it is only October!


No comments:

Post a Comment